Navigant Research has released its annual 180+ page BTM wind report International Wind Energy Development: World Market Update 2012.
Among the report’s findings:
· More than 285 GW of wind power is now installed globally:
- 45GW of new capacity was added in 2012, including 1.1 GW from offshore wind;
- The United States surpassed China as the largest market in terms of new installations in 2012;
- Europe lost its position as the largest world region in terms of new installations;
- Wind installations in the Americas grew by 12.3 percent compared with 2011;
- The penetration of wind power in the world’s electricity supply has reached 2.62 percent;
- However, there are storm clouds on the five-year horizon. The study, for the second year in a row, projects a reduction in market size for the upcoming 5-year period. The World Market Update 2012 forecasts that 241,620 MW will be added through 2017, 10 percent less than the forecast made in 2011.