During his recent visit to the University of Houston Law Center, Justice Swatanter Kumar graciously agreed to drop by our Climate Change Law class and informally discuss India’s legal system and how it might respond to climate change claims. This topic might be a bit off the beaten track from our usual Listserv discussions, but I thought some of you (or your students) might be interested in his lecture.
We have posted a video of Justice Kumar’s presentation at:
Given India’s common law system and its long and rich history of pro-active public interest litigation to address environmental threats, it will be interesting to see how that tradition adapts to climate change claims and adaptation needs.
Professor Tracy Hester
Director, Environment, Energy & Natural Resource Center
University of Houston Law Center
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas. 77204
web bio: www.law.uh.edu/faculty/thester
- IDLO / CISDL Legal Working Paper Series on Sustainable Development Law on Climate Change
- New Report on Climate Change and African Responses: Regional Approach
- U.S. Executive Agency Responses to Climate Change
- Videos: Responses to Climate Deniers
- Online Seminar on the Use of Games in Teaching Climate Change